Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Brady and Belches Top Rankin'

by Mojokong

NFL Pre-Season Power Rankings (one at a time)



1. New England Patriots: I’ve learned my lesson betting against this team. Last year I thought they were too old to make another run in the playoffs. Then I bet against them versus San Diego and lost (and of course lost again betting them to beat the Colts the next week – I’m not a very good gambler). They've caused me too much hard drinking and too many profanity-laced tirades to keep going against.

Belichick and Brady lead an organization that to me looks a lot like the old 49ers teams of the 80’s, with even less talent. New England wins with back-ups to star players more than any one in the league and their game plans are often times impeccable. The Belichick model of how to run an NFL franchise is by far the most successful in today’s game and is emulated by damn near every other coach in football. Frankly, I don’t know how the guy keeps it up every year. I think he keeps Yoda around as a consultant.

This season the Pats are loaded with new free agents. Randy Moss, Adalius Thomas, Wes Welker, Kelley Washington, Dante Stallworth, and um...Kyle Brady. Their top 2 picks, Brandon Meriweather and Kareem Brown, make a lot of sense when you look at their depth chart. With so many additions at receiver, Brady will finally have the kind of weapons that other top QB’s have enjoyed having at their disposal. Maroney will carry a full-time load this year and should blossom even more without the rain cloud Corey Dillon hovering around.

The only real concern for this team is their secondary versus top notch passing offenses. Samuel is really good, but on the other side is Ellis Hobbs backed up by Tori James (ick). Harrison is always a beast against the run but his speed in pass coverage, like all humans except for Daryl Green, declines every year. The Pats likely hope that Meriweather will be ready to replace Eugene Wilson sooner than later, but knowing the genius of Belches he wont rush any player into the game if he isn’t all the way certain that he’s the best guy at that spot.

I’m not going to go too far out on the limb this year and say that the Patriots win the Super Bowl. I know that’s a boring pick but I get the sexy picks wrong every year.



Up next: Indianapolis Colts

No comments: