Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Depressing Conundrum

This is a free-falling nightmare that will not end. We’ve moved from terms like bad and laughing-stock to dubious distinctions and worst-coaching-job-ever-in-the-history-of-professional-sports. The pounding of the last two games has steam-rolled the fleeting spirit that remained in this team, and we’re only halfway through the season.

The descent back into the quagmire of the NFL pits didn't happen overnight. Those reading closely watched this hurricane slowly descend upon the horizon. It was forewarned.

The curious direction the Bengals have taken under Marvin Lewis has been critiqued since a disappointing 2006 season, which resulted in Lewis’ third 8-8 season. The excuse that year revolved around Carson and his knee. “He isn’t 100 percent; he’s gun shy in the pocket; he wasn’t on the same page with his receivers.”

In 2007, the excuse for the first losing season under Lewis (7-9) emerged as that old song and dance: injuries. “Not enough healthy linebackers; too many secondary guys out; lots of younger players filling in.”

And now we’re here. In the ninth and final circle of Marvin’s Inferno. Where not even light escapes, and first downs suffer mightily. Looking up at everyone else, banished to the kids’ table ..once again.

The worst part about the whole disaster is that Carson is hurt, and that will be the excuse again this season which will preserve Mr. Lewis’ position as head coach. Scarier yet, Bratkowski may be also spared on the same grounds.

Only an 0-16 season will prompt real change. And do you, as a Bengals fan, want that included on our already staggering list of dubious distinctions? At least the 1976 Buccaneers were an expansion team with some of the most random players ever. (There is some great NFL Films footage of that winless Bucs team.)



I guess when it comes down to it, I still want the Bengals to win. I can’t root against them. That would be like turning against your special-needs sibling. I’d rather them pull out two, maybe three wins in the second half of the season, not have the first pick in the draft, and still take Ray Maluaga with the third pick overall. That said, I’m not picking them to win in any of the remaining weeks.

Jaguars 28, Bengals 10

Mojokong - the portal of faith.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the comparison to a special needs sibling. That about sums it up.

To me, the Bengals are like a girl who drinks too much, smokes too much, eats like shit, has way too much drama in her life, doesn't really look good anymore, but is really good in bed. So once a week, you talk yourself into thinking she's worth your time and that she might eventually turn the corner...but of course, she never does.

I wonder what its like to root for a team that actually knows what its doing.

Noon

Anonymous said...

Marvin's Inferno? Laughed out loud.
Bravo, Dante!

The Bengals have become, sadly, the Tampa Bay Buccanearly(s).
I abandoned ship the day the hurricane slammed Cincinnati, and
although I watch the burning Mother Ship from my leaking life boat, I too cannot root against them. But they make it very difficult to root for them, eh?

And your week 9 preview?
Just a score?
No QB numbers, injury manifests,
sliver-of-hope scenarios?
And a goose egg for the home team?
My, things ARE getting ugly, aren't they?
But, it could be worse...the Economy could be in the tank.
Oh wait..........

Bailing,

Lucca

Unknown said...

I'm watching UC doing that "win" thing to nationally ranked Southern Florida right now, all I'm saying....

There is good football happening in Cincy, all you gotta do is walk up the hill to fun, family-friendly Clifton.

-d

Anonymous said...

Man I hope you are wrong about Bratkowski. I'm afraid you will be proved to be right on that count though. The Carson injury, Chad and TJ not being in training camp, there is always an excuse from this team. They won't acknowledge the ridiculous release of Willie, the failed Chris Perry experiment, or the lack of an offensive line.
I just hope they don't use that number one pick on a running back.

I like the kiddie table image. That's where I feel like I am sitting when I watch this team.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add my name to the list of those who can't stop rooting for the Bengals, though they do make me regret that decision on a regular basis.