Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Why Not?

30 Dec 2006


Why Not?

I've heard Saints fans chanting the Who-Dat cheer which is one letter different from our chant. I plead to you, Bengal nation, to let the Saints have the cheer and we start a new, unique chant, that doesn't reflect our toothless Appalachian roots. I mean, "Who dey thank gonna beat dem Bengals"? It makes me cringe to even type it out. I can only hear the most redneck, Milwaukee's Best beer can crushin', west-sider screaming the phrase with a raspy, drunken enthusiasm. Bootsy Collins tried the "fear the tiger" thing but the white bread hillbillies that unfortunately make up the majority of the Bengal fan base would not hear of it. How many times does the camera pan across the crowd where middle-aged drunk faces slobber out the who-dey phrase with a clown-like expression and a six dollar Bud in their frost bitten hands. I'm embarrassed by it. Nothing represents the podunk midwesterner more then "Who-Dey". Why is our chant a question in the first place? How about a song the crowd sings in unison when the other team has the ball. Like European soccer fans do. It sounds much cooler. Even "Who dare" would be better, or plain old "Go Bengals". I doubt the good ol' boy Cincinnatians will ever be brave enough to admit our chant sounds inbred and try to change it, but at least you know how I feel about.

No comments: